The Pursuit of Happiness
Look at the picture and read the title, the sentences under the title and paragraphs 1-2.
1. What do you think this text will discuss? (Be specific and do not repeat the title).
2. This text discusses the study of happiness. Words and phrases related to research and emotions are listed below. Put a check () to show whether they relate to research or how people feel or behave.
Read paragraphs 1-4
3. (How does the author define “Subjective Well-Being” (SWB?
4. a. The interest in the subject of happiness is not a new phenomenon. Support this statement by referring to the text.
b. According to the text, how do we know that the study of happiness is popular?
Read paragraphs 5-8
5. Complete the following table to show the two methods of measuring SWB and what respondents relate to in each method.
(Hint: Skim and scan paragraphs 6-8 to quickly find where each method is located).
6. List three of the reasons why self-report surveys may not be reliable.
Read paragraphs 9-12.
7. a. Who were the subjects in the experiment discussed in paragraph 9?
b. What was the difference in the procedures that were carried
out in the two groups?
c. How did the difference in each procedure affect each group
( in the long-term? (Infer part of your answer.2.
1. Longer procedure:
2. Shorter procedure:
8. Explain what idea the examples in both paragraph 10 and paragraph 11 demonstrate? Do not repeat the examples.
9. What does “this finding” (paragraph 12) refer to?
Read paragraphs 13-17
10. What was the surprising finding of the research mentioned in paragraph 13?
11. List three factors which have a strong effect on happiness.
12. Explain the “set-point” theory according to the writer.
Read paragraphs 18-21.
13. Professor Kirsch and the writer of the article believe that happiness depends on both heredity and environment.
Support this statement with one example from the text.
14. List any two positive outcomes of happiness according to the text.
15a. According to the article, there are specific factors that influence happiness. Which ones do you think are the most important?
b. Give one example, from your experience to support your answer.
|מילות מפתח||The Pursuit of Happiness|
|מקצוע/ות||אנגלית, ממ"נים, תחומים אחרים|
|שם מוסד לימוד בו הוגשה העבודה||האוניברסיטה הפתוחה|